FAQ for isdn4linux
v2.0.103, 15 January 2006
If you are reading this FAQ online, you may consider downloading the whole
thing, and reading it offline (much cheaper). To download the latest
version of this FAQ in TXT/HTML/SGML format, go to the homepage of this FAQ:
A German translation of the FAQ is available at:
This FAQ answers questions that were frequently asked in the newsgroup
de.alt.comm.isdn4linux. It contains questions any user should
know about ISDN under Linux using isdn4linux, as well as hints on how
to best make use of all the features isdn4linux provides.
Version 2 of the FAQ is derived from an earlier version which had become
outdated at the time of this writing. To obtain information on old versions
of isdn4linux (1997 and earlier) please have a look at the FAQ version 1.3.4.
About the format of this FAQ:
The main basis of this FAQ is the i4l mailing list (see question
docu_mailinglist). I've treated the
knowledge gained from reading as public domain, without quoting the author of
the original mail. The FAQ is now written in SGML, as this format is flexible
to convert into any other form of documentation (though some restrictions
apply). The FAQ is now maintained in English since German-speaking people can
easily follow the mailing list/newsgroup (or search in the archives). Whoever
wants to translate back to German is welcome to do so!
The countless links in this documents are not always complete and I'm sure many
are no longer correct. I do not have the time to check them all. If you
discover a bad link, please let me know (I'll try to install some automatic
checking when I have the time).
Additions, improvements and other suggestions are always welcome (also
correction of typographical errors!), preferably send "diffs" from the SGML
version. Thank you very much in advance!
Send feedback about this FAQ to:
The newest version of this FAQ can be found at:
This FAQ is protected by the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2;
(C) 1999-2002 Matthias Hessler (for version 2.0)
Distribution under the terms of the GPL is welcome. However,
we offer NO GUARANTEES for the information herein. Please read the GNU
General Public License for further details. A printed version is available
from Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
An electronic version is available from the author.
- 7.1 trouble_22memory: I can't start ISDN on my machine with kernel 2.2.x. I get the error messages "init_module: Device or resource busy" and "isdn: Could not allocate device-struct.".
- 7.2 trouble_littlememory: How can I reduce isdn4linux's memory requirements?
- 7.3 trouble_debug: How do I get maximum debug output?
- 7.4 trouble_strategy: My isdn4linux doesn't work! How do I best go about finding the problem?
- 7.5 trouble_boot: How can I tell whether my ISDN card has been correctly recognized?
- 7.6 trouble_isdncause: I get an error message like "cause: E1234" (or similar)?
- 7.7 trouble_e001b: I get an error message with "cause: E001B"?
- 7.8 trouble_noprotocol: upon startup of HiSax I get the message "Warning - no protocol specified"?
- 7.9 trouble_euronotsupported: upon startup of HiSax I get the error "kernel hisax: protocol euro not supported"?
- 7.10 trouble_unknownprimitive: upon connection attempt I get the error "lldata_handler unknown primitive"?
- 7.11 trouble_notelrings: Neither my telephone nor my fax machine ring when I call them with isdn4linux?
- 7.12 trouble_guestaccess: Are there sites that offer guest access where I can test my isdn4linux setup?
- 7.13 trouble_unload: I can't unload my ISDN modules ("isdn: Device or resource busy"), even so I closed all ISDN applications?
- 7.14 trouble_tcpdump: Why does my tcpdump not work for ip packets going over ISDN ("truncated ip" or so)? How can I get a tcpdump patched for ISDN?
- 7.15 trouble_locatecrash: My isdn driver crashes my machine! Since I've configured it as a module, the addresses change each time it's loaded. How can I find out where the driver is crashing?
- 7.16 trouble_lotsdebug: My hard disk becomes very active when isdn4linux run. How can I turn this off?
- 7.17 trouble_oldhardware: Maybe my hardware is too slow?
- 7.18 trouble_outofbuffers: I get messages like "HSCX RME out of buffers", "HSCX RFP out of buffers", "HSCX B EXIR 10" in the syslog?
- 7.19 trouble_noresetinit: After a soft reset, my card does not initialize correctly.
- 7.20 trouble_noisdnctrl: When attempting to use isdnctrl, I get the error "/dev/isdnctrl: No such file or directory"?
- 7.21 trouble_noisdnctrl2: When attempting to use isdnctrl, I get the error "/dev/isdnctrl: No such device"?
- 7.22 trouble_xosview: xosview doesn't show any network activity since installing i4l.
- 7.23 trouble_unknownhost: When I for example from a W95 box call up a page with Netscape, I only get the answer "unknown host".
- 7.24 trouble_noroute: Addresses are now found, but now I get "no route to host".
- 7.25 trouble_nolocalnet: After booting, my local network can no longer be reached. I use the network interface ippp0 with ifconfig 0.0.0.0; the default route points to ippp0.
- 7.26 trouble_unauthorizedcodechange: When HiSax starts, I get the error messages 'Approval certification failed, unauthorized source code changes'?
- 7.27 trouble_crcerror: How can I see the number of packets for HiSax with invalid CRC?
- 7.28 trouble_amproglibtool: When compiling isdn4k-utils I get the error 'AM_PROG_LIBTOOL not found'?
- 7.29 trouble_hisaxparams: HiSax does not work - how can I set the HiSax parameters for newer Linux kernels?